Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Samoa Cupcakes {Recipe}



Recently, my co-worker asked me to make cupcakes for her birthday.  I knew she was in love with the Starbucks Mocha Coconut Frappucino, and she wanted something with a similar taste.  So, I did a little research and came across the recipe for a Samoa cupcake (you know, like the popular Samoa girl scout cookie).  When I mentioned it to her, she was excited...the flavors were exactly what she had in mind.  In my usual style, I decided I wanted to add a little twist to the recipe, so I tweaked it just a little bit, and this is what I came up with:

 Samoa Cupcakes (Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream)
Slightly Adapted from:  Sweet Little Details

Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes:
2 cups flour

3/4 cup natural cocoa powder

1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature

1 3/4 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup Malibu Rum
4 large eggs, room temperature

1 cups milk


Caramel Frosting:

2 sticks unsalted butter

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cups packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/3 cup prepared caramel (recipe below)

3 Tablespoons milk

6 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup Malibu Rum

1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

1/4 cup milk chocolate chips

Caramel recipe: found via Chockylit
1/4 cup water

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon butter

Cupcake Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder .In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, salt, baking soda, vanilla, and Rum until fluffy and light, at least 3-4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. With mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the milk beating just until combined.

Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full, making sure that the batter is divided evenly. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Tilt each cupcake in the muffin pan so it sits at an angle. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan at this angle for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


Frosting Instructions:

Cream butter and brown sugar together in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add vanilla, salt, caramel syrup, milk until combine. Begin adding in the sugar slowly and mixing thoroughly after each addition. Beat for about 4 minutes until smooth.  Add Malibu Rum and mix until incorporated.
To toast the coconut, spread the coconut onto a rimmed sheet pan. Toast in a 350°F oven, stirring frequently, until the coconut is an even brown color, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip. Pipe a spiral of frosting, beginning at the outer edge and working inward.
Heat chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave for about 30 seconds or until drizzling consistency. Garnish the frosted cupcakes with toasted coconut and drizzle with melted chocolate.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished creation:









My co-worker absolutely L-O-V-E-D them (as did the rest of the people in my office)!  Although I'm not a big coconut fan (I made a few without it), I have to admit they were delicious and I can def see myself making these again in the near future!

Have you ever tried any other girl scout cookie-inspired cupcakes?




3 comments:

  1. YUMM!! Somoas are my favorite GS cookie- Im going to try these! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you HAVE to try them...I'm not a big Samoa GS cookie fan (I'm more of a Thin Mint type of gal), but the cupcakes were so good!

      Delete